Pro Version | USD Change Currency | Help | Mobile Site
Advertisements

Barbera d'Alba Wine

Barbera d'Alba is a key DOC of Piedmont, north-western Italy, famed for its tangy, cherry-like red wines made from Barbera grapes.

Barbera (like so many Italian wine grape varieties) has ancient origins, although it has only been traceably documented since the 17th century. It was first cited in an official document in 1798, by Count Giuseppe Nuvolone-Pergamo of Scandaluzzo, deputy director of the Società Agraria di Torino (Agrarian Society of Turin). The count is credited with creating the first definitive list of Piedmont's wine grape varieties. Barbera-based wines were well regarded even then, for their rustic yet generous character. They and were a favorite among Savoyard army officers, who considered the wine a "sincere companion", which helped them maintain their courage in battle.

The coat of arms of Alba

The Alba viticultural area covers both the town of Alba and the surrounding Langhe hills (see Langhe), and overlaps with those of Piedmont's two most famous red wines – Barolo and Barbaresco. All around Alba, are the kind of rolling hills which have come to symbolize the Piedmontese landscape. Barbera vines thrive in the chalky, limestone-rich clay soils here. The best Barbera d'Alba wines are sourced from hillside vineyard sites close to Barolo.

Barbera d'Alba wines are generally esteemed for their deep color, low tannins and high levels of acidity. When young they offer fresh flavors of cherries, blueberries and raspberries. Relatively rich, bold and flavorful, the most powerful examples might just be compared to Barolo or Barbaresco. There is a distinct difference between Barbera d'Alba and Barbera d’Asti – its counterpart from the neighboring Asti province, which is generally considered more lively and 'feminine'.

For a wine to be legally labeled as Barbera d'Alba, it must be made from at least 85% Barbera grapes. The other 15% may be made up of Piedmont's noblest wine grape, Nebbiolo, but intensely perfumed Dolcetto (the region's often under-rated 'third' red wine grape) is not permitted for use. The added designation of superiore may be added to labels if the wine is aged for 12 months prior to commercial release, of which at least 4 months must be spend in oak barrels.

Due to its high acidity, Barbera d'Alba is best given several years of bottle age, to allow the fruit, oak, tannins and acidity to integrate.

Best Buys: Expand/collapse
Approximate (ex-tax) price: $
Color:
(Wines are selected by quality/price ratios)
Available in: USA The World
Where is it? Expand/collapse
What's available? Expand/collapse
 
We found 482 wines produced in this region.
Wine Name
Grape 
Popularity
Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $47 1787
Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $20 3017
Vietti 'Vigna Scarrone' Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $40 4835
Luciano Sandrone Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $30 5341
Marchesi di Barolo Ruvei Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $16 5580
La Spinetta Vigneto Gallina Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $45 6231
Bruno Giacosa Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $28 7004
Oddero Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $18 8103
Vietti Tre Vigne Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $21 8226
Roberto Voerzio Riserva Pozzo dell'Annunziata Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $149 8455
Conterno Fantino Vignota Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $23 8666
Beni di Batasiolo Sovrana Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $18 8699
Bartolo Mascarello Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $35 8719
Fontanafredda Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $20 9507
G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $23 9507
Domenico Clerico Tre Vigne Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $23 9947
Pio Cesare Fides Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $42 10127
Sottimano Pairolero Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $23 10151
Poderi Aldo Conterno Conca Tre Pile Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $35 10198
Vietti 'Scarrone Vigna Vecchia' Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $72 10284
Giorgio Pelissero Piani Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $21 10463
Prunotto Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $15 11262
Marziano Abbona Rinaldi Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $21 11536
Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $40 11761
Paolo Scavino Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy Barbera $25 11773
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 of 20 >
 

Site Map About Contact Business Advertising Social