Clos de Tart is a Grand Cru vineyard (or climat) and corresponding appellation of the Cote de Nuits sub-region in Burgundy. Covering 18 acres (7.3ha) of land, the site is of average size among Burgundy's Grand Crus. It occupies a significant portion of the Cote d'Or mid-slope immediately south and west of Morey-Saint-Denis village.
© BIVB / GADENNE D.
All Clos de Tart wine is produced from Pinot Noir, although the appellation laws do permit the inclusion of up to 15% white grapes (Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc). This law is designed to allow for planting variations and mutations within the sometimes-ancient vine rows and applies to almost all Cote d'Or red wines.
While the majority of Burgundy's vineyards have had many owners over the years (Clos de Vougeot is a prime example), the Clos de Tart is an exception. It has been a monopole since its creation in the middle of the 12th century. The original vines were planted by the sisters of the Notre Dame de Tart order – the origin of the vineyard's name. The nuns remained in sole control of the site until the French Revolution at the end of the 18th century. The Mommessin family bought the domaine and its vines in 1932, just before the official creation of Burgundy's Grand Cru appellations.
The Clos de Tart was granted Grand Cru status in January 1939, based on the quality of its terroir. The combination of limestone (concentrated in the lower sections of the site) and well-drained marlstone soils here leads to wines with a balance of power and elegance. Because the vineyard is in the hands of a single domaine, the style of wine coming from the climat is more consistent than those from sites that are owned by many producers. Clos de Tart wines that do not meet the Grand Cru standards are sold as La Forge Premier Cru.